This post was originally published on March 17, 2020 – but is unfortunately still very relevant this year. The links below have been updated to include new material from this past year.
Suddenly many of us are facing rather unusual times – closed schools, stores sold out of supplies, quarantines, and social distancing.
While we don’t know exactly how the angels are working to bring the day of Christ’s return ever nearer, we can trust that God is Sovereign and completely in control of all world events. Coincidentally – or not – last week’s End of Week Encouragement Podcast was titled, “Fear,” and was a good reminder of where we place our trust no matter what circumstances we face. Also this Friday’s “Minute Meditation” (that was recorded and scheduled many weeks ago!) is titled, “Why Worry?”
For those of us who are heading into an extended Spring Break, we’ve tried to group together a list of resources that may help in redeeming this extra time with your children in a spiritually purposeful way.
We pray that you all stay healthy and safe and ready for our Master’s return!
Resource Round Up:
- Start your day off with video morning devotions, object lesson videos, or Bible character videos.
- Daily Readings Podcast for Kids, Podcasts for teens, End of Week Encouragement Podcast, and Minute Meditations, Verse of the Day Video are all great for a daily refocus and food for thought. Pick a series and work through an episode a day.
- Use the time to try a Bible Reading Challenge. These Bible Reading Challenges include various fun activities and extensions including drama, food, illustration prompts, quizzes and many other fun activities for kids, teens, and adults that go along with each book of the Bible.
- Time for a good book (book reviews for children are here, teens and adults here.)
- Or listen to audio books (audio books available here for kids and here for teens and adults, including In Search of Life and Who are You Looking For. There are also various other Christadelphian books on audio).
- Learn to play or sing some new songs (simplified hymns for early pianists, songs to memorize lists in the Bible, and learn to sing Psalms etc): Music Resources.
- Focus on a Bible study (workbooks, templates, and lapbooks for children here and for teens here). There are also craft videos here.
- Visit our Plays and Family Nights Page for fun activities. Many of our plays have links to presentations you could watch. Use ecclesial family night ideas for home family nights (Tea Parties, Themed Nights, Bible Scavenger Hunts, Handicrafts, Escape Room, Games etc).
- Visit our Sunday School pages for videos, crafts and activities that could be used to extend your Sunday School lesson (or anytime). Stage 3 currently has the most resources after a COVID Sunday School year!!
- In our More Resources sections you will find games, templates, activity pages, coloring pages, verse art to print out for card making and more (More Resources for Kids, More Resources for Teens, More Resources for Sisters).
Are you looking for a spiritual reset yourself? Now might be the perfect time to try focusing on spiritual goals and reflections worksheets, or spend some time discussing family values together: Spiritual Goals Page. For personal Bible study try going through a Bible study course, or workbook studies or journals on topics such as Prayer or Ruth (see our studies, journals and workbooks for sisters), or use daily verse writing as an opportunity for meditation.